With a commitment to creativity, technology and social change, Open Signal makes media production possible for everyone. We provide skills, equipment, inspiration and we amplify local voices on five cable channels.
Open Signal builds upon the legacy of Portland Community Media (PCM), an organization that empowered thousands of Portlanders to access video and television technology during its 35-year history.
We offer customized workshops for groups and individuals of all ages and learning abilities, available by appointment. Learn about new software and equipment at your own pace, or keep your coworkers up-to-date with digital media skills. To view a detailed list of available trainings visit our website.
Most opportunities certify you to check out gear from our media equipment library in order to create content for our cable TV channels. Age restrictions may apply for certain equipment certifications.
Prices vary based on training needs and group size. Group rates and nonprofit discounts are available. To request a quote please complete this form.
For assistance or more information contact our media education team at education [at] opensignalpdx.org.
Transfers, Rescheduling and Refund Requests
There will be a $25 rescheduling fee for requests for rescheduling Personalized Trainings 5 or less business days before the first date of the requested training. Full refunds will be offered for refund requests made 6 or more business days before the first day of your scheduled Personalized Training.
Five business days before your first workshop session, an 85% refund is available or the workshop can be rescheduled with a $25 rescheduling fee.
Two-four business days before your first class, a 70% refund is available or the workshop can be rescheduled with a $25 rescheduling fee.
One business day before your first class, a 50% refund is available or the workshop can be rescheduled with a $25 rescheduling fee.
Day Of Cancellation
For day of cancellations or midway through a multi-session workshop cancellation requests, no refunds will be offered. Rescheduling sessions can be offered for a $25 rescheduling fee.
Day of cancellations must be made at least 3 hours prior to the start time of your workshop to request a rescheduled training date.
If you fail to show up for your scheduled personalized training without notice 3 hours prior to the start of your scheduled workshop, no refund will be available for the missed workshop session.
Are you sick of local news outlets ignoring the stories that affect your community? Join this project-based studio class to collaborate on a show that agitates for social change.
In this class, intended for both certified Open Signal producers and anybody with an interest in citizen journalism, we’re calling on you to submit a show proposal that fits this summer’s theme: “Our Town.” We will be exploring how a place shapes identity: What makes a place special? What narratives create the essence and character of a place? What are the people like?
Whether it's a short documentary, a televised interview show or anything else you can imagine, we're looking for programming proposals that evoke compelling community dialogues that can create change.
After the proposal selection, members of the class will work with the selected producer to create a short program, practicing hands-on studio skills like video switcher operation, graphics, advanced lighting, audio mixer operation and more, as well as expanding their writing, producing and production assistant skill sets.
If your proposal is chosen, you’ll get to work with a crew of community producers to bring your show to life!
Even if your proposal is not chosen, you'll have the opportunity to create a short program, practicing hands-on studio skills in a collaborative setting with the studio crew.
Certified HD Studio Producer Crew Slots: 5
Creative Assistant Slots (no experience required): 3
Prerequisite: Intro to HD Studio Session #1 and Session #2. There are three slots open for Creative Assistants who have not completed the HD Studio Certification.
This class is part of our Studio Production track. Learn more about our media education tracks here.
Class dates: July 30 & 31
Project proposal due date: July 12th
If your show is selected, we'll notify you by July 16th.
About Our Scholarship Fund
Our scholarship fund is named in honor of Bob Hedlund, independent producer advocate.
Bob Hedlund was known for his commitment to the role of community media in society. Hedlund was more than a volunteer; he was a leader at Portland Community Media, now known as Open Signal.
For the past ten years Bob had been an important member of the Open Signal family. He created the Independent Producers’ Organization (IPO) and produced the IPO series, which continues to address topics such as media reform and legislation. He attended Open Signal board meetings to ensure the needs and views of independent producers were always included in discussion, and volunteered on numerous programs in support of other Open Signal producers.
Bob greeted everyone with a beaming, infectious smile and a warm hug. His presence will be missed very much by Open Signal staff and producers.
In honor of Bob and his commitment to producers, Open Signal named its Media Education Scholarship "The Bob Hedlund Memorial Scholarship Fund". The scholarship fund enables Portland-area residents to participate in Open Signal’s media education program at reduced rates or no charge.
How to Apply
To apply for the scholarship, please complete the application form and submit along with documentation of financial need. Please clearly specify your priority of first, second and third workshop choice and workshop dates on the application.
Scholarships are reviewed on the 15th of every month and scholarships will be awarded on the 20th of every month. Scholarship applications that demonstrate a desire to create media work that will inspire, educate or bring awareness to the greater community, will be strongly considered.
Submission of application does not guarantee a scholarship or enrollment in the class. If your application is approved and registration is full, you will be offered enrollment in the next available class. Applicants may be considered for one scholarship slot per term, with a maximum of 3 scholarships per calendar year.
Guidelines and Criteria
The following conditions must apply to be eligible for scholarship funds:
- Scholarships are open to area residents within the city of Portland. Underserved or underrepresented populations can be considered in the greater Portland area.
- Applicant must demonstrate financial need by supplying documentation that supports his/her low-income status. Accepted documents include: Pay Stubs, Income Tax Return, statement of benefits, documentation from DHS, etc. For your privacy please exercise caution when uploading sensitive documents. Social Security numbers should be blacked out. If documentation cannot be supplied, applicants must complete the application section explaining their financial situation.
- If documentation cannot be supplied, applicants must complete the application section explaining their financial situation.
Applicants must agree to the following in order to be approved for a scholarship:
- Must participate in Open Signal’s workshops with the intent to produce programming for Open Signal channels.
For support with your application or for more information about our scholarship fund please contact Open Signal's Media Education Department by email: email@example.com or by calling: (503) 288–1515.
Sobre la Beca
Nuestro fondo de becas es en honor a Bob Hedlund, quien fue un productor independiente activo en nuestra comunidad.
Bob Hedlund era conocido por su dedicación al papel de medios comunitarios en sociedad. Hedlund era más que un voluntario; era líder en Portland Community Media, ahora conocido como Open Signal. Bob era un miembro importante de la familia Open Signal. Creó el Independent Producers' Organization (IPO) y produjo el serio IPO, que continúa abordar el tema de reforma de los medios de comunicación. Asistió a las reuniones de la junta directiva para asegurar que las necesidades y puntas de vista de los productores independientes siempre estaban incluidos en la discusión, y era voluntario en varios programas en apoyo de otros productores de Open Signal.
Bob saludo a todos con una sonrisa infecciosa y un abrazo cariñoso. Su presencia sera extrañada por toda la comunidad de Open Signal.
En honor de Bob y su dedicación a los productores, Open Signal ha llamado la beca de educación mediática "La Beca de Bob Hedlund." El fondo de becas permite residentes de la área de Portland a participar en los programas de educación mediática a tarifas reducidas o gratis.
Para solicitar la beca, favor de completar la solicitud y submitar junto con documentación de necesidad financiera. Favor de especificar su prioridad primera, segunda y tercera de talleres y las fechas de los talleres en su aplicación.
Becas serán revisadas el día 15 de cada mes y serán entregadas el día 20 de cada mes. Solicitudes que demuestren deseo de realizar trabajo mediática que inspirarán, educaran o que crearan conciencia en la comunidad en general serán consideradas especialmente.
Solicitud no garantiza una beca o inscripción en la clase. Si su solicitud es aprobada y la clase esta llena, será registrada/o en la próxima clase. Solicitantes pueden ser considerados para una beca cada trimestre, con un maximo de 3 becas por año.
Directrices y Criterios
Las siguientes condiciones deben aplicar para ser elegible para los fondos de beca:
- Becas están abiertas a residentes dentro de la ciudad de Portland. Poblaciones menos atendidas y subrepresentadas puedan ser consideradas en la area mas grande de Portland.
- El/la solicitante debe demostrar necesidad económica que soporta su posición bajo ingreso. Documentos aceptables son: talón de ingresos, declaracion de impuestos, declaracion de beneficios, documentacion de DHS, etc. Para proteger su privacidad, favor de tener cuidado al cargar documentos sensitivos. El número de seguridad social debe ser tachado.
- Si no puede proporcionar documentación, solicitantes deben completar la sección de la solicitud explicando su situación financiera.
Solicitantes deben acordar a lo siguiente para ser aprobado/a para una beca:
- Deben participar en los talleres de Open Signal con la intención de producir programacion para los canales de Open Signal.
Para asistencia con su solicitud o más información sobre la beca favor de contactar nuestro Departamento de Educación Mediática por correo electrónico: firstname.lastname@example.org o llame a (503) 288–1515 X 401.
Test-Out Certification Request
Test-outs are available for experienced filmmakers to access our free resources without having to complete a certification course.
- $110 - Intro to Video [Field] Production: JVC 600, tripods, beginner mics & flolights
- $75 - iPad Activist Filmmaking Kit: iPad, two lenses, light, two mics
- $60 JVC 850
- $75 - Canon C100
- $110 - Final Cut Pro X: macbooks with editing software and access to on-site editing bays
- $110 - Adobe Premiere: macbooks with editing software and access to on-site editing bays
- $50 - Beginner [Field] Production Gear: tripods, beginner mics & flolights
- $100 - Advanced [Field] Production Gear: beginner mics + flolights, director's montiors, audio recorders, video recorders, c-stands, advanced mics & velvet lights
The Fine Print
- Open Signal is a public access center. Producer content must be submitted to our public access channels on a regular basis in order to checkout gear. Initial round of content must be completed and submitted within 2-months.
- After successful completion of an in-person test-out a community producer orientation must be completed to checkout gear. Orientation sessions are held multiple times a week - talk to front desk for details
- If failure to pass, no refunds will be given. A workshop at full cost must be completed to be certified. It is highly encouraged to take a workshop if you are not experienced in the testing subject.
- Cancellations: All test-outs are scheduled by appointment. Cancellations with a 72 hour notice can rescheduled 1 time at no cost . Cancellations with less than 72 hours notice can be rescheduled 1 time with a $25 rescheduling fee. There will be no refunds & no exceptions fo our cancellation policy.