Open Signal is a media arts center in Portland, Oregon. We carry a vision for community-driven media focused on creativity, technology and social change.
Do you want to produce a project yourself with our equipment?
We offer members of the public the ability to checkout production equipment kits in exchange for content to distribute on our cable access channels. If you meet the eligibility requirements and the project is accepted (based on capacity), you will sign an content agreement and be checked-out a production equipment kit for the duration of your project. At the time of check-out you will be given a quick orientation and run-down on the equipment in your kit.
APPLICATIONS OPEN QUARTERLY
- *November 4th - December 9th for Winter: Jan 1 - March 31* - Program launch
- February 3rd - 17th for Spring: Apr 1 - Jun 30
- May 5th - 19th for Summer: Jul 1 - Sep 30
- September 5th - 19th for Fall: Oct 1 - Dec 3
- You must be an Open Signal Member
- You must identify or your project must support one of these groups:
- English-language learner
- People with disabilities
- Non-profit organization
If you need help filling out this application please reach out to:
KatMeow, Community Advocacy Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org or 503-288-1515 x411
Noah, Equipment Manager at email@example.com or 971-322-5546
We are currently accepting submissions of work to feature on our online platform watch.opensignalpdx.org that reflects one of the following genres: 1) Narrative, 2) Social Impact and 3) New Media. If you have a short film, experimental piece, podcast or other originally produced work we’d love to see it!
Narrative = tells a story, fiction and nonfiction are both accepted, this is our most broad genre!
Social Impact = informs the audience of a pressing social or political issue
New Media = experiments with emerging technology such as virtual and augmented reality
All selected media will be featured on the front page of our website and promoted in our newsletter, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Before you submit please read all the text below and don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.
We prioritize content that:
1) is produced primarily by BIPOC and under-represented media-makers from the Portland Metro Area.
2) reflects the current climate (be it politically, culturally or otherwise).
3) deepens our understanding of place.
4) uplifts and elevates the audience and/or subject.
- We accept up to 3 pieces of content per applicant.
- We request that you share links to work that is already online on public platform such as Vimeo, YouTube, Archive.org, Soundcloud, MixCloud etc.
- All work submitted must be originally produced and cannot contain copyrighted material or commercial content.
- There are no age limitations for submitters. We encourage emerging media makers to submit their work to be featured alongside experienced media makers. If the content is mature we ask that you provide a disclaimer.
There is no deadline to submit! We refresh content on the 1st Tuesday of each month. You will be notified about your submission within 10-business days.
Have work that doesn't fit the current genres or wasn't selected to be featured?
Anyone in the Portland Metro area can air their non-commercial work on our cable channels that are now available online 24 hours a day. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to get started!
We are here to help! Contact us at email@example.com if you need assistance with the submission form or have trouble sending your content.
Open Signal is supporting fellow non-profits whose education programs have been affected by COVID-19 by lending out classroom sets of laptops as well as other select pieces of production equipment. If your organization has had to shift in-person programming online but is continuing to work with populations that do not have access to laptops, please submit this form to request laptops for the duration of Open Signal's closure to the public.
In line with Open Signal's mission, priority will be given to programs with a commitment to equity & inclusion initiatives that require equipment for supporting underrepresented communities.
For questions about equipment lending please contact Open Signal's Facilities and Equipment Manager Noah Dorsey by email firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone (971) 322-5546.